Sweet, savory and topped with house-made strawberry butter!
Metro Diner first opened its doors in Jacksonville, Florida in 1938, then was later revived in the ’90s and franchised across the country.
The concept is pretty self-explanatory – it’s a diner!
They offer a large variety of classic breakfast (served all day), lunch and dinner meals, as well as daily specials.
One of the most popular dishes at Metro Diner is their award-winning Chicken & Waffles, which is served with house-made Strawberry Butter.
Metro Diner recently declared August 8 as National Chicken & Waffle Day.
We stopped by the Louisville location (4901 Outer Loop) to see how they’re made and get a taste for ourselves.
Want to try making it at home? They were nice enough to share the recipes:
Instructions for Chicken:
- Use fresh, never frozen chicken.
- Soak your chicken in your brine of choice for 24 hours.
- Marinate in your marinade of choice for an additional 24 hours.
- On medium-high heat, fry your chicken for 10-12 minutes.
Instructions for Waffles:
- Set waffle iron to desired heat.
- Using your favorite waffle mix, stir in mixing bowl until it is lump free.
- Spray iron with cooking spray of choice.
- Fill iron with waffle mix and let bake.
Instructions for Strawberry Butter:
- Soften 1 pound of butter in the microwave. Do not liquify! Add a ½ tsp. of salt if you do not already use salted butter.
- Wash and then dice ¼ to ½ cup of strawberries. Set aside.
- Blend ¼ to ½ cup of powdered sugar and grenadine into the softened butter.
- Once sugar and grenadine is thoroughly mixed and butter is a consistent bright pink color, fold in strawberries.
- Chill until needed.
Drizzle in Louisiana Hot Sauce-laced syrup and enjoy!
Metro Diner now has locations in seven states. Click here to find one in your area.